Skip to main content

Halloweend Edition 2014 Pt. I

It’s that time again, Halloween edition 2014. I’ve been a busy bee lately. This year I had a head start on Halloween costumes. I was contacted by last year’s mom to make her daughter’s costume again. This is awesome because she loved last year’s costumes and her daughter received many compliments. It always makes me happy to know people out there appreciate my work. So this year I made not one but two costumes for her daughter.
 

Costume number one is based on Maleficent, Princess Aurora! She wanted the “gold” dress the one where she gets crowned in. Here is a picture I found online to give me an idea. From studying the design it seems as though the silhouette is from the 1900’s. The bodice consist of a semi square neckline, princess seams, and decorative trim around the neckline, waist and sleeve. The skirt has two pleats and the dress is not too full.


Taking what I analyzed from the original design I tried to interpret my way by adding my own twist. So I just kept it simple with the bodice I made simple darts instead of princess seams, decided I wanted the neckline to be squared instead of in-between figure it would make the design pop out. I kept the sleeves long and the skirt less full with the two pleats in the front. I figure her daughter would be running around or walking around trick-or-treating and wouldn’t want to deal with a full skirt. 
 
The fabric was a gold jacquard; I thought it would be perfect because of the floral print. The fabric was very soft considering she tried on the store bought costume and her main issue was the fabric was too itchy.  The trims were fun to pick out, found this perfect gold trim that matched the fabric but not too matchy matchy that you lose the trim from the busy floral print. It really stands out against the print. The last elements were the covered buttons; this made the design very elegant and delicate.

 
So here is the final product, Princess Aurora gold dress! I really loved the way it came together, although the fabric was a pain to work with it has the tendency of unraveling. In a way it was a good thing because I kept pushing myself to sew it faster before I was left with nothing.

Close up of the front
 
 

Close up of the back
 

Complete front view
 

Complete back view

This is how it looks hanging. 

I will be posting pictures of her wearing the costumes as soon as I get them so be on the look out for that.
Stay tune for part two of my Halloween edition. I’ll give you a hint, she is also a Disney princess and she is an ice princess…any guesses comment below?

Want to read previous Halloween edition? Click on links below.
Halloween Edition 2013 part one and part two
Halloween Edition 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Seams I

It's been a while since I've done a custom design or a Behind the Seams segment. Today I will be sharing with you my latest work. A month ago I was contacted by a young lady to design a gown for a wedding she was attending mid April. She sent me a picture of a mermaid dress she had stumbled across. The problem was that she wouldn't be able to get it delivered just in time for her event. I came to her rescue j/k. I met with her took down her measurements talked about fabric choices and any other details.


Here is a sketch of the design.
The design consisted of a mermaid silhouette, the neckline was almost like a racer back. The back was exposed with tiny spaghetti straps. The back skirt had a tiny bustle. The hem had tulle peeking out all around.

The chosen fabrics were red peach skin, red lining, and black tulle. The notions that were used included an invisible zipper and thread.

I generally like to drape my patterns on the dress form over flat pattern. This method seems fa…

LBD Goodwill Challenge

Happy Thursday fashionista's! I've been a bit MIA on my blog lately, but today I'm back with an exciting post. If you have been following my blog for a while then you might remember me talking about Phoenix Fashion Week. Each year they host a challenge, which consist of illustrating your perfect little black dress. They choose the top four illustrations which then you get to bring to life. In which the designers showcase it in Phoenix Fashion Week's annual fashion show. This year they had a completely different challenge.


The little black dress challenge was presented by Goodwill of Central Arizona and Phoenix Fashion Week. You had to shop at one of 67 locations, find a project dress, up-cycle, re-purpose it into your own perfect little black dress. The dresses would then be turned in by Saturday 26, 2015. Which would then be judged by up-cycle expert Angela Johnson. They select the top four designs. Once chosen 25% of the votes would come from social media and 75% …

Heart Cut Out Dress

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I popped up on here! I've been crazy busy being a momma, wife, and a Etsy shop owner. It has been quite an interesting journey, very different from custom designing. I've learn so much these past months and I am continuing to learn. Hats off to you if you are a Boss Mom it takes a lot to run a home and a business!


I'll be sharing with you all some of my Etsy designs with you all incase you don't follow my social media or Etsy shop. Since we are still in the month of February I'll be sharing my Valentine's day dresses. I made two designs for my shop the first design is the Heart Cut Out dress.


For this design I wanted a fun focal point, I decided a heart cut out on the back would be cute. I started drafting and making a muslin sample I had to tweak it a couple of times because getting the heart shape wasn't as easy as I had thought. After three attempts I finally got the heart shape that I was aiming for. The fin…